Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Progress Report - Double Argh!

I am still struggling with this blankety, blank app. What I am trying to do does not seem like it should be rocket science but evidently I was wrong. I feel like I have made little progress since last week at least nothing that I can show and I am definitely feeling the pinch of the upcoming deadline. At least if I have not been pouring myself into this heart and soul for the last few weeks I could pass it off as being ill prepared or misjudging deadlines and the complexity of the task at hand but I have been working on this religiously night and day for weeks.

I do think that I jumped in too quickly and tried to forge ahead before I had spent enough time learning. I put out a call for help with my employee who works with coding regularly. She has never used x-code but has done a lot with C++, PHP and ASP so she forged into the coding with me with a warning that she may not be able to assist. After a bunch of talking through functions and testing various areas of my code we decided that it wasn't working but that I had found the right location for what I needed and just needed to figure out how to call the data into the function given the code I had written. I walked away from the experience feeling like I needed to understand more about Objective-C but with more comfort in monkeying around in the code to test components.

With all of this in mind I decided to take twenty steps back this week and make myself learn again. I purchased the Objective C videos from The Pragmatic Bookshelf and took detailed notes while I watched. This really helped me understand a lot more than I have previously and I am just starting to plug away again to get my code on track. I really think that one of my biggest problems thus far has been that I hate to throw away any progress I have made away in an effort to go back and rewrite code from scratch given my new knowledge.

So I am going to forge ahead yet again and take the next two days off from work so that I can hopefully accomplish something before it is due. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment