Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Progress Report - iPhone App Creation

I feel like I have immersed myself in x-code the past few weeks. The first book I purchased seemed relatively good but I was really struggling to get through it and was not seeing the connections that I needed to be making in order to create my app before the end of the semester. I found some great video at the Pragmatic Bookshelf for learning how to do iPhone programming and I think they have been the key to jump starting my progress. There are five videos in the "Writing you First iPhone Application" training set. The videos are a bit fast at times so I have to slow them down, pause them or out and out rerun certain sections to make sure I have the steps right. Since I chose to code along with the video using this process of pausing and rerunning certain sections of the video I would often introduce unintended errors which would then need to be debugged before my app would run as the one in the video does. This process, although tedious has been one of the most valuable learning opportunities because you can never learn code better than by debugging it. I have been through all but the final one thus far but feel comfortable beginning work on my app.

The past two evenings have been spent setting up the mainWindow.nib file and all the various functions in the appDelegate and ViewController files. When the application opens I now have a title bar and navigational listing of the different calendars I am going to offer on the calendar. Each of the items on the navigational listing only goes to a blank screen but that will be tonights project. I hope to begin placing the functions that access the RSS feeds associated with each calendar into the view. I have success modified and completed a previous tutorial that did this exact thing but have to figure out how to integrate that into the work I have done thus far so that I can control the way my app looks and processes. After that step is complete I will need to write the coding which will allow the user to delete calendars they do not what to use from their navigational menu.

Wish me luck tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment